Sunday, March 30, 2014

Peggy's Cove-Nova Scotia

It's always interesting beginning a new work. You need to first mentally map out how you want the piece to look, then sketch the key areas onto the canvas. The motto is "Less is more", so I try not to over sketch and put too much into the image.
Once I'm satisfied with my sketch I mask out(a liquid compound that you paint on, once dry you can paint over it and when finished peel it off and you have clean, crisp lines and separation between areas) key areas where I want a sharp definition between an object, the sky and the sea. I haven't painted water for a while so I admit I'm a bit nervous about it.
As the masking fluid dries I will plan which area to paint first, usually the sky, and create my main colour. This colour will be used for the sky, and with some changes also for the sea and the grey buildings.

No comments:

Post a Comment