Monday, March 19, 2018

Spring Painting-Canadian Rockies



It's Springtime in the Rockies. The days have more light, the temps are warmer, everyone has a smile.

A friend of ours was visiting Banff this weekend. Donna is an interior designer and trained architect. She is also a talented artist. She has brought new energy and creativity to my painting.

Last summer Donna was in France on an art course. She was introduced to a unique brush by Pentel, the Aquash Water Brush. On her course they would sketch with a waterproof pen, then, using the water brush and a small travel watercolour paint box create quick, colourful sketches. She showed me her book of images over a coffee and I was immediately taken by the beauty and simplicity of her work. To my surprise she gave me her waterbrush from her kit. The brush has a reservoir of water attached to it. All you have to do is touch your colours with the brush and voila!As I already have a watercolour travel box and a moleskin book, I was ready to paint.

The images here show the brush, pen, paints and travel book. I was out today near Two Jack Lake and created a quick sketch of the Fairholme Range. I then went over to Vermilion Lakes and created a quick sketch of Mt. Rundle. The beauty of this kit is that it is very small, packable and each sketch takes less than 5 minutes. While I love working on large canvases in my studio, this new tool will get me outside more, studying and creating subject matter for my future pieces. It is also something I can travel with and create every day.

Thank you Donna for opening a new door to my creativity!

Robert Krysak

No comments:

Post a Comment