Sunday, December 23, 2018

I am a Nomad-Christmas Canadian Rockies






I am a Nomad.

I mentioned this previously in my blog. One of the jobs I do, is I drive supplies to remote lodges for a heli-skiing company. The other day was an epic journey.

I awoke early in the morning and checked the local forecast. My hometown of Banff was in a clearing trend. I also checked the weather for Jasper, and my final destination, Valemount, B.C. Both were in a clearing and sunshine was the forecast. I also checked AMA Road Report. We had just had a large system travel thru the area, dumping 20-25 cms of new snow on the Icefields Parkway. Parks was closing the road at 10 am for avalanche control, with 2-3 hour delays. I decided I would take the Parkway. My other option was a 10 hour drive around (Usually the drive is 5 hours)

When I left the house, there were stars sparkling in the sky overhead. With the rising of the morning sun, the thick clouds around the peaks exploded into puff balls of pink, with splashes of blue sky. The team and I loaded the Sprinter truck with 3,000 lbs. of food and treats. A special load for the guests and staff who would be celebrating Christmas at one of the lodges. Interesting, as I did my final vehicle check and scanned the warehouse for any stray boxes, it began to snow. Hard.

Turning on to the Trans Canada highway heading West, I was greeted by wave after wave of flying snow, visibility down to 3 car lengths in front of me. The wipers on the Sprinter began to ice up, and my windshield became opaque. Having experienced this before in snowstorms, I had put a can of silicone spray in my emergency kit. I pulled over at the first opportunity. I pulled my toque over my ears, put my coat on, and jumped out into the maelstrom of angry wind and billions of confused snowflakes. I plucked ice off the wipers and sprayed them. Hopping back into the truck, I began driving down the snow-covered ribbon of asphalt. I could now see.

The storm lasted for around 20 minutes or so. As the sky brightened, I actually saw a patch of blue. My spirits rose, and I sang along to the music I was playing. Within 20 minutes, the sky cleared, and in front of me there was a spectacular display of cloud and light. It was as if the mountains were welcoming me ahead to a great journey. Passing Lake Louise, my spirits were bright as I turned up the Icefields Parkway. The sun was shining the snow glistening, and a cobalt blue sky outlining the towering peaks.

I need to turn around, but I can’t. 

The snow is 14 inches deep (35 cms.) in the middle of the road and 20 inches deep (50cms) on the sides. There is one lane, and if there is an oncoming vehicle, you have to hug the side of the road, so you don’t collide. The challenge here, you also do not want to get sucked into the deep snow on the side and get stuck. There has not been a plow on ten road since the storm hit a day or so ago. For 28 kms., I crawl along at 20 kms an hour, slowing each time when there is an approaching vehicle. Finally, I find a wider part of the road where I try to turn around. The Sprinter is long, and it takes me 5 minutes, slowly going forward and back. Fortunately there was no traffic at this time. It takes me another 35 minutes to travel back to the Trans Canada highway. Near Lake Louise, I check the road report for the drive from Lake Louise to Revelstoke/Kamloops/Valemount. All looks good, and I turn West for the long drive.

The rest of the drive was long, but uneventful. When I turned North at Kamloops it was 5:15 pm and dark. 320 kms to go. My companion on my right was a full moon. The moon was so bright, at one point I turned off my headlights and drove by the light of the moon. Town after town passed by. Christmas lights were sparkling and made me smile as I basked in their glow.

I finally pulled into Valemount, my destination, at 9:45 pm.. 13 hours on the road and 871 kms. I was tired, but happy to step away from the wheel and walk on the earth. As I unloaded a few supplies into the heli-shack, the surrounding peaks were glowing bright. Across the field from me, one of our helicopters was stationary, ready for another day of taking skiers for their run of a lifetime.

I am a Nomad

Robert Krysak


No comments:

Post a Comment