Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Vermilion Tarn-Canadian Rockies

I am having a show of my work Friday, November 17th, 6-9pm at the Banff YWCA. 25% of the proceeds of the show will go to the YWCA and their programs.

I have been painting religiously every day, creating a variety of paintings in various sizes. I have also gone thru some of my past works...some finished and some not. I came across an unfinished piece. Vermilion Tarn.

Vermilion Lakes are on the outer perimeter of Banff. Between the second and third lakes is a small tarn, or lagoon. It is a favorite place of mine. I have spent hours there, sitting quietly while the residents of the tarn go about their business. I have seen weasels swim amongst the half submerged logs, tadpoles playing in the shallows and a variety of birds sharing the pond. In 2010, I began a painting in the Fall. My goal was to capture that Cobalt blue that is in the sky, and the Raw Sienna,  Burnt Umber and Yellow Ochre that comes out in the bushes and grass. I worked on the painting from the top down to the pond. Then I stopped. For some reason I couldn't wrap my brush around how to paint the logs in the foreground. I went back to the painting three or four times. Each time I walked away, not sure how to complete it.

Last week, after seven years, I signed my name on Vermilion Tarn. (This happens when I complete a piece). I reduced the overall size of the painting. I then went out to the Tarn and really absorbed the image of the logs in the water in to my mind. They really haven't changed much in seven years. I have.....and I put my brush to paper and painted them into the piece.

Vermilion Tarn
Watercolour on paper
14" x 10"
$150


No comments:

Post a Comment