Saturday, February 1, 2014

Mt. Assiniboine-Early Morning-Canadian Rockies



I've just returned from a business trip to Denver and got in late last night. After a fitful sleep, time with family, I decided it was time to begin painting again. As both pieces I've been working on are a bit large and require a lot of paint I felt it made sense to now just work on one at a time so I did not run out of colours as I used them.

I must of spent 30 minutes planning out how to do the morning glow in the sky, and how to follow with the darker areas out of the sun. I  mixed New Gamboge with Cadmium Yellow and Alazarin crimson. On the bottom image you can see where I have tested various shades of this with earlier tests of the sky. Afterwards I also diluted the sky mix with water and added a bit of Sepia to give it an edge.

As painting on canvas requires you to work quickly as the colours tend to bleed I painted the pink morning sky, quickly dried it with a hair dryer then painted the shaded foreground. Time to let it dry and plan the next phase. In my studio I am listening to Sting "All This Time".
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment