Sunday, September 2, 2018

Bugaboos-Bavin Glass-Canadian Rockies

I have been very busy the past couple of weeks travelling to remote mountain lodges. I work part time with CMH Heli-Skiing and Summer Adventures, and have been travelling to the Bugaboos, Cariboos and Bobbie Burns.

The other day I was at the Bugaboos delivering product to the lodge. It is a majestic place, with granite peaks towering around you. The bar in the lodge has a massive window behind it, with a spectacular view of the mountains. In the window is a glass blown fish, created by Ryan Bavin, Master Glass Blower. It was early in the morning, with wraithlike wisps of cloud floating around the valley floor.

I wanted to capture the fish with the mountain scene behind it. I moved my camera to many positions, and at the right moment pressed the shutter. I quickly looked at the image, then went to begin the journey back to Banff. It was not until later in the day, back home in my studio, that I really looked at the image I took. Without planning to, I had captured the fish in such a position that a wisp of cloud was coming out of it mouth. It's as if it was exhaling vapor from deep inside it's molten core.

The phrase"Being in the right spot at the right time" came to mind.

Robert Krysak

No comments:

Post a Comment