Sunday, September 16, 2018

Calm After The Storm-Canadian Rockies

Last Thursday I drove to a remote mountain lodge.........what should have been a six hour drive became almost nine. The forecast was for flurries and possible snow. From Lake Louise north to the Columbia Icefields, it was snowing hard, the road covered in 10-15 cms. of icy, white muck.(It's September, right?) As more traffic rolled up the highway, the surface became rink like. Cars were in the ditch, and on steep hills many cars and motor homes could not move either up or down. North of the Ice the road was bare and wet, clear sailing.

As I had to be in Banff by 11 a.m. the next day, I was back on the road by 5 a.m. Roads were clear and dry as I made my way back. About 25 kms West of Jasper, still dark with the Eastern sky beginning to brighten with the dawn, I came around a corner/rock wall that rolled down onto the flats. Directly in front of me was the rear end of a moose, loping down the center of the highway. It looked back over its right shoulder and our eyes met. As I swerved right to avoid an inevitable collision, the moose lunged left. We missed each other by inches. As I passed by the moose, I could have reached out and stroked its back, as I was driving a Sprinter van where you sit higher up off the road.

I pulled over, sat on the side of the rode and shook uncontrollably. After a few minutes, after splashing some cold water on my face and stretching my shaking body, I continued down the road.

Life is a gift....we never know what each day or moment will bring. When I turned the corner at Jasper to head south, the clouds opened up, revealing shiny peaks off in the distance. A sign, I think, to let me know the rest of the journey was going to be OK.

Enjoy your journey. Stop to savour it and experience all life has to offer.

Robert Krysak

No comments:

Post a Comment