Monday, December 21, 2020

RAVEN OVER SLEEPING BUFFALO-CANADIAN ROCKIES

 

I began creating Raven Over Sleeping Buffalo mid April, 2020. April 21 I had a bike crash, with results being a compound fracture in my right elbow, nerve damage in my right arm/hand, concussion, bruised ribs, and spine damage. It has been a long road of recovery, with many more miles to travel.

I have looked at this canvas like an addict looking at a cigarette or an alcoholic at a bottle. I have wanted so much to paint, but I have been scared. For a while I couldn't hold a brush in my hand, nor control it. I have done small, quick 5 minute sketches, but that's all. 

I'm not sure what happened today. I was out in the fresh air, ravens overhead and a light snowfall tickling my nose as I walked thru the trees. I did a quick sketch outside and was pleased with putting pen/brush to paper. When I got home, Raven Over Sleeping Buffalo was calling me, and I went to my studio and began to paint. 

I always begin with the sky, as it sets the mood for the rest of the painting. I wanted to capture the darkening of the sky as it passes into night, the brightness of blues in midday, and the collision of colours in the early morn. As the sky dries my brush will wander down to the Vermilion Lake where I want to capture the cool glacial turquoise and green of the cold water.

No comments:

Post a Comment