Wednesday, December 30, 2020

SPRAY LAKES-CANADIAN ROCKIES


Sunday, December 6, 8 of us in 4 cars drove to the Spray Lakes above Canmore. We heard the skating was good, so wanted to check it out. It was a beautiful, bluebird winter day, 5c with a light wind. 

While everyone skated, I sat in a camp chair in the snow, sipping on a cold beer. I brought with me 2 canvasses and a couple of felt pens. I wanted to capture the image and lines of the mountains on the canvas. Richard, a friend who was also not skating, sat beside me and we chatted as I drew some quick lines. I had also brought my 2 burner camp stove, fry pans, fondue and bread. As the skaters came back to basecamp, I fired up the stove and each person brought their plates forward with bread waiting for the tasty fondue that I poured over it. It was a very special afternoon, one that will stay with me for a long time.

Yesterday I was in my studio and looked at each canvas. I closed my eyes and again I could feel the warmth of the sun, feel the breeze across my face and smell the cheesy fondue as it bubbled in the pans.

Time to paint. The first sketch is called Spray Crystalline Lunch Spot and the second Spray Crystalline Air. I feel so fortunate to be able to create in these challenging times.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment