Friday, October 15, 2021

Peggys Cove-The Fleet is In


 One of my favorite places in the world is Seabright, Nova Scotia. Good friends of ours live there and we have spent many days on their dock and playing in St. Margarets Bay.

Down the road from Seabright is another favorite place, Peggy's Cove. I have been there many times. Whether we are basking in bright sunshine, getting pounded by an Atlantic storm, or lost in thick fog, the cove is a special place.

I have captured Peggys Cove in a few paintings. Recently a friend from Banff asked if one of the pieces was still available and I said it had sold. After a few emails, showing her some of the different renditions I have done, she picked the image she liked. I am calling this new image The Fleet is In. Attached is the photo I am working on to create The Fleet is In.


I am working with 300 lb. Arches watercolour paper, one of the heaviest. I tape down the paper to my artboard. Once you add water/paint to the paper it can bend a bit, so my goal is to have a flat surface to work with. Looking at my photo on my laptop I then begin drawing in the foundation of the painting.....buildings/boats/crab pots. The goal is to not overdraw and clutter the image.



The next part of the painting is to use a liquid masking fluid. I lay this down with a thin brush. The masking fluid gives you separation between different layers and colours. Once it dries, you can paint an area with your colour/colours of choice. Once you peel it off you have a very clear definitive line between sky, buildings and water. As I let this dry I start planning on how I will tackle the sky. Will it be a bluebird day with bright sunshine, dark ominous Atlantic sky or deep fog? Will see which way the brush wants to go. 
Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment