Sunday, October 17, 2021

Peggys Cove-The Fleet is In


 I'm always a bit nervous before I put brush to paper. It's like being at the top of the white expanse of a ski slope powder skiing, and your turns ark across the landscape. When painting, once you start, there is no going back. I prep some French Ultramarine Blue and Paynes Grey. Then I take my largest brush and wet down the paper. This technique is called wet-on-wet, as I will lay the colours onto the wet paper. You have to be careful, as the paper absorbs a lot of the colour. Paint too light and you can't see the colour.......too dark and it's hard to lighten up.

My brush dances across the paper, the blue splashing down in some areas, the grey in others. The cove can be a moody place, so I want some blue sky as well as grey wraiths of clouds. I try to keep the colour above the village lighter as I want the weathered shacks to be the focal point as well as the boats. I grab a ball of tissue paper and dab areas to pull off the paint and give the feeling of clouds.

Once the paper has dried I take a special eraser and pull off the masking fluid between the sky and the village. You can see a definitive line between the two spaces. Next, I will layer in the ocean in the foreground.

Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment