Thursday, May 31, 2018

May Showers and Bear-Canadian Rockies



It's a cool, grey and damp day in the mountains today. There is welcome moisture, as the forest has become tinder dry, and our world is covered in a yellow, pollen dust from the trees. Nature is giving the valley a cleanse, one that is sorely needed. The mountains are alive, there are May spring sounds, and the falling rain is refreshing. The low hanging cloud hugs the hidden towers of the surrounding peaks, and there is a glimpse of new snow on the upper ramparts.

As I walk along a favourite trail, the falling rain taps on the hood of my rain jacket. The leaves at my feet that were once tinder dry and crunch, are now wet and soft..........you have to watch your step so as not to slip on the trail. As I walk I take in deep breaths of the mountain air, and when I exhale a billowing cloud of vapour leaves my lips. It's 4 c this morning, hitting a high of 9 later in the day.

I find solace in the mountains, and actually prefer the clouded days as you are forced to focus at things close at hand.

The trail eventually blends in to a meadow, with only knee deep grass around me. I spin slowly in a circle, taking in everything that is around me. I am not alone. There, around 500 yards away, is a black bear. By its size I decide it's a male. It's winter coat is long and it looks large and healthy. A shiver goes up my spine, the excitement and wildness of it all washes over me. Bear looks at me for what seems a lifetime, then drops it's head to mow down the fragrant grass it is standing in.

I spend a minute more watching Bear. I then let out a loud "Whoop". While I enjoy being in Bears company, I do not want him to be comfortable in mine. His survival depends on keeping away from people in our park, which is already feeling like summertime as far as visitors go. Bear's ears perk up, he looks in my direction, then lumbers off into the forest.

Thank you Bear for sharing some time with me.

Robert Krysak

No comments:

Post a Comment