Wednesday, November 3, 2021

The Creative Journey



 I always find it interesting the comments people make after I finish a piece. They love the composition, the colours, the theme. They are seeing the completed piece, but have not been on the journey from conception to completion.

I have been in my studio the past day preparing canvas for some commissions I have as well for some images I am painting to sell in a local store. I have over 20 sizes of canvas, from 4"x4" to 20"x30". I first make sure there are no defects in the canvas. I buy them from Opus Art Supply in Vancouver and Kenzington Art and Swintons in Calgary. I then brush them off, making sure there are no particles of dust. The next step is using Golden Gesso ground. Using a small roller, I apply a layer of Gesso, let it dry then add another. The Gesso, once dry, provides a bondable surface the watercolour adheres to. It's a challenging surface.......when you apply the paint you are never guaranteed of the final result. This is what I love, a true challenge in creating.

As the canvas dries, I map out a plan of which piece to start first. As it takes a while for paint to dry on the canvas, I usually work on 2-3 at a time so I can continuously paint. The next step is to pencil in my design on a few canvases, then I will begin painting. CKUA playing in the background.

Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment