Saturday, June 19, 2021

Cobalt Lake-The Bugaboos-The Granite Boulder


 

"I would rather die of passion than of boredom". Vincent Van Gogh

The granite boulder has been on my mind since I first started this painting. It is a challenging piece of the painting because it is so unique. 

There are so many components to a piece of granite. Its chemical composition is typically 70-77% silica, 11-13% alumina, 3-5% potassium oxide, 3-5% soda, 1% lime, 2-3% total iron, and less than 1% magnesia and titania. For me, it is 100% magical and beautiful. On my easel, as I work on the Granite Boulder, is a small piece of granite. I glance at it many times, and hold it in my hand.

I go to my paints and lay down a layer of Paynes Grey. If you have been following this blog, Paynes Grey has been a participant since the beginning of the journey. I let this dry, and then lay down a darker layer of Paynes Grey. Before it dries I sprinkle Himalayan Salt to leave a crystalline look on the rock. It needs to dry. In the background, I'm listening to CKUA Lionel's Vinyls.

Enjoy the journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment