Saturday, June 12, 2021

Cobalt Lake-The Bugaboos-Left Peak above Cobalt


 "A great fire burns within me, but no one stops to warm themselves at it, and passers-by only see a wisp of smoke". Vincent Van Gogh

I am totally immersed in painting Cobalt Lake. You could be in my studio talking to me and I would not hear you. My focus is on the painting, the peaks, and the rugged environment. Blue Rodeo Greatest Hits is playing in the background.

I mix some Paynes Grey and Burnt Umber and begin painting the left peak over Cobalt Lake. In some areas, I dabble in the Sepia, which is rich and dark. As I move into the center of the painting we begin to have some greenery, so I lay down a wash of Phthalo Green, softened by a splash of Paynes Grey.

I try not to think too far ahead, but I'm nervous about heading into the foreground. There needs to be more detail here, as if you were actually standing on the grass, with a cool breeze blowing thru your hair.

Enjoy the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment