Sunday, June 13, 2021

Cobalt Lake-The Bugaboos-Scrub Trees and Lateral Moraine


 "LIVE as if you were to die tomorrow. LEARN as if you were to live FOREVER". Mahatma Gandhi

As I move into the center of the picture it is time to paint in the scrub trees. Remember, "No twigs at 2 miles". I take my slanted 1/4" brush and dip it into a mixture of Phthalo green and turquoise. Listening to CKUA in the background, I dab 100's of times on the canvas, moving from paint to canvas in rapid succession.

As I paint I glance over to the lateral moraine on the right. I want to capture the look of many rocks......but how? I test a plastic bag, dipping it into a Sepia/black mix. Testing it on watercolur paper, the end result is too blotchy. I then take a piece of edging material used for painting corners on walls. It too is too blotchy.

I find I learn something new every time I paint. As I ponder this challenge......."Lightbulb". I take my 1/2" slanted brush, load it with paint, and with my forefinger flick it onto my test paper. It works! I take sheets of paper and lay them around the area I want to paint, keeping only the moraine area exposed. I load the brush and flick away. It worked! While the paint dries I peel off the masking around Cobalt Lake and the line separating the foreground from the trees and moraine. My next challenge is the large, open space that represents moss and grass. Then the big granite boulder. I'll end with the colour of Cobalt Lake.

Enjoy the journey

No comments:

Post a Comment